Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '13 Touchscreen/Nav location = Total FAIL.

Thumbs up '13 Touchscreen/Nav location = Total FAIL.

So they finally added a touchscreen -- but the location is complete fail, what were the engineers thinking?!

It ought to be near the top of the dash -- that's about where I have my ProClip iPhone mounts today in my Camaros -- don't have to take the eyes far from the road.

The other month, some chick was looking down near the bottom of her steering wheel texting going like 70 on i355 in an SUV -- I saw her once prior and once after a tollbooth swerve into the next lane causing the person in that lane to have to abruptly move into another lane to avoid collision!

Needless to say, the new touchscreen is at and lower than the middle of the steering wheel, which is terrible. :facepalm:

THIS is what they SHOULD have done, or make it a pop-up unit:

Just look at this thing, it needs to go up like 5-6 inches:

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-25-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    01 Camaro SS 'vert: ARH Stepped Headers/Catted Y,Noweeds Diverter,SLP FlowPac & Dual-Dual Exhaust,SS Brake Lines,Koni 8241 SAs, Strano Sways,UMI CM SFCs welded,Hotchkis STB,DDM HIDs,USA Spec PA11-GM45,Gentex 50-GENK60 Mirror
    02 Camaro RS: Borla Cat-Back,DMH E-Valve,Whisper Lid,SLP CAI & Bilsteins,Auburn LSD,SS Sways,UMI 3pt CM SFCs welded,BMR CM STB,DDM HIDs,USA Spec PA11-GM45,ProClip,Gentex 50-GENK60 Mirror

You're not retarded enough to drive for nascar
    I saw the first pic and was like "looks fine to me"

yaaaa......well most navigation won't let you input crap unless you're stopped, so i don't see it being an issue
    84 camaro 14.2@92mph
    88 suburban 22.9@57mph
    2011 porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0

You are correct sir... that is way too low! Even if you're not inputting anything while driving, taking a look down over and down like that when you're using the navigation is dangerous.

I love the layout on the new 2013 Lexus GS. That car moves too!

Another thing that pisses me off is that the use of the navigation input feature should be turned on if you have a passanger in your car, similar to the passenger air bag on/off. Why can't the passenger input the information for your destination? I know, I know...
    Last edited by scrmnwrx; 03-29-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Even more reason to put an iPad + 4G in the Camaro -- GM did the right thing adding this option, but would probably argue they "had to maintain the Camaro heritage with the vents staying where there were, therefore we could not raise the screen" :thumbup: GENIUS!

NOT. Why can't GM get something right for once? Uggh.

This is a lot better, of course 9.7 in. screen would be easier to operate than the 7 in. GM includes -- this could still be a little higher, more in line with the speedometer/tach gauges tops.

01 Camaro SS 'vert: ARH Stepped Headers/Catted Y,Noweeds Diverter,SLP FlowPac & Dual-Dual Exhaust,SS Brake Lines,Koni 8241 SAs, Strano Sways,UMI CM SFCs welded,Hotchkis STB,DDM HIDs,USA Spec PA11-GM45,Gentex 50-GENK60 Mirror
    02 Camaro RS: Borla Cat-Back,DMH E-Valve,Whisper Lid,SLP CAI & Bilsteins,Auburn LSD,SS Sways,UMI 3pt CM SFCs welded,BMR CM STB,DDM HIDs,USA Spec PA11-GM45,ProClip,Gentex 50-GENK60 Mirror

Go buy the Galaxy Note. Problem solved!
    Street/Strip Car: Black 1999 WS6 Patriot Heads, Cam, LQ4 block with forged rotating assembly, Speed Inc. Custom Twin Turbo kit with PT-67's. Burkhart Chassis Chrome Moly Cage, Strange Engineering 12-bolt with 3.42 gears. 907RWHP, TH400 racing tranny with 4000 stall. Best 1/4 mile ET 9.19 @ 156.25 MPH on 15"Slicks ET 9.22 @144 MPH on 17" drag radials. New High Imp 160lb injectors 965RWHP getting ready for next season.

Wow, that is downright dangerous. What a horrific location. I just bought my first car with a navigation system, Lexus IS 350. You still have to be careful to keep your eyes on the road.

Which problem -- planned obsolescence?! I mean many Android devices never get major OS updates, or they are very untimely, compared to iOS that's good for at least 3 major updates, and many minor ones...

Plus, will Android survive the Oracle Java lawsuit? I wonder, as Larry Ellison was Steve Jobs' bud, and this is an extension of the "thermonuclear war on Android". me thinks ;)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...ncol;cnetRiver

Quote Originally Posted by chasgiv3 View Post
    Go buy the Galaxy Note. Problem solved!

We must pass Obama's Aricles of Impeachment to see whats in them.
    Uuugh...another discussion about built-in navs...
    I still favor portable garmin units.

Worthless in my opinion.
    1) What this thread is about...Positioning.
    Garmin: On the dash using a no-slip base. (Well..it wont slip if you dont go more than 1/8 throttle..hehe
    Or..put it 'anywhere' thats comphy for ya.

2) Cost. How much did the dealer charge you?
    200 bux or more for an 'update' CD... No thanks
    Garmin: New units have 'maps for life'. Nuff said there.
    Buy in can be less than 150 for a new unit.

3) Proprietary. If it dies. Good luck with that.
    Garmin. If it dies a new one is a fraction of the cost of on-board units.

Resale on your car?
    I honestly believe by the time you go to sell your car a built in nav will be a 'negative'.
    Maps not updated? Or the Nav not working? Weeeell.. Take a bunch off the price of that car.
    I think those that are familiar with the costs and pitfalls of built in units would avoid buying a used car with one.

As for an 'pad' in the car?
    I think they have em for Transformers. (Ya..I have a transformer..whaddya gonna do about it?? (grin))

Looks like it's GoGoLink for the Camaro Nav for MyLink -- not too stellar reviews of it on iOS, though...

Chevy adds GogoLink navigation to list of MyLink apps | New York Auto Show 2011 - CNET Reviews

what did you expect, you put lipstick on a pig you still have a pig. the entire 5th gen interior IMHO is a big fat fail!! they just made it a bigger fail. lol and you're all surprised that GM failed again? lol

I'm with dood though I prefer Garmins over factory units.
    Last edited by lugnuts; 04-23-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Thread Information